David Lind on the Open Road and Wanderlust

The annual SAB gala – “An Epic Evening: Journey Through the Art Museum” – is just one day away, so we talked with the students performing at the gala about how they and their work connect with the theme of “journeys.”

Be sure to come tomorrow night (to hear David Lind ’18, featured below, as well as our other student performers:

7:00 – 7:40 Evan Gedrich
7:45 – 8:00 Songline
8:05 – 8:25 Swara
8:30 – 9:00 Sherry Romanzi
9:00 – 9:30 Shere Khan
9:30 – 10:00 David Lind
 15267744_136489986835019_975997402483601807_n

David Lind on the Open Road and Wanderlust

What do you plan to perform this Thursday?

I’ll be performing some original acoustic songs that I wrote on my way to Nashville this summer, plus a few classic covers.

The gala theme is “An Epic Evening: Journey through the Art Museum.” How do you draw inspiration from the idea of journeys for in your performance?

I wrote most of these songs while on a recent cross-country road trip. The songs are definitely about the “open road” and all the wanderlust that goes along with it. This project has been more folk-driven than most of my past songs, and I hope the songs will convey the sense of adventure that I experienced while writing them.

Is there a piece of art that represents the idea of a journey to you?
I used to collect calendars of Montana, which is especially weird given that I couldn’t even point it out for you on a US map. I’ve always loved books and movies like Narnia and The Lord of the Rings, so that’s probably where the sense of adventure stems from – I’ve always associated epic adventures with mountains and rivers.

What’s one journey you have taken that is important to you?
In addition to my road trip this summer, this upcoming semester abroad in Europe should make for an ‘epic adventure’ – and I expect that it’ll prove my mountain / river theory wrong. I’ve set aside 6 weeks for traveling, so I’m sure it’ll be chalked full of new and exciting experiences.