Failed Love Spotlight: Daniel Pinto ’20 of the Nassoons

The Nassoons freshmen together on tour!

What songs will you be performing at Failed Love?
We’ll be singing Lies by Glen Hansard, Thinking Out Loud by Ed Sheeran, and our founding song, Perfidia.
What inspires your group to sing?
I’m not sure I can speak for everyone, but for me, it’s fun, it feels meaningful to create something bigger than myself, and the world’s easier to deal with when you get to create something beautiful with your friends every day.
What does love mean to you? Are there any love songs the Nassoons particularly like to sing?
To me, romantic love is a finicky, sublime, untamable obsession that’s easy to be cynical about and easier to be consumed by. We sing a lot of love songs, but Perfidia is probably the one that’s most important to us. It’s assumed a sort of double meaning as a love song for us, both in its actual content — a ballad about the lament of loss and the yearning pain of “find[ing] the love of my life/in somebody else’s arms” — and in what it’s come to mean to the group. You’d be hard-pressed to find a Nassoon who doesn’t readily crack a smile and throw his arms around his friends when he hears Perfidia, no matter if he’s 18 or 80. For a lot of us, this song symbolizes the platonic love of close friendships and the passion for music that’s what the group is really about. The Nassoons’ relationship with Perfidia spans across everything from wrenching loss to blissful togetherness — just like real-life romantic love.
Have any of you experienced heartbreak or failed love? Any advice for those who might be in that position now?
Yes. Make something creative, even (especially) if it’s awful and nobody ever sees it. Catharsis works.